Almost everyone desires to have an eye-catching appearance, more so women. A good look makes you feel good and boosts your confidence. There are many ways to look good; among them are excising, makeups, doing your nails, smiling more, accessorizing with jewelry, or wearing classy clothes.
When it comes to jewelry, most people find it hard to buy it because they think it’s a costly part of fashion. Contrarily, not all jewelry is expensive, and some of them are DIY. In this detailed article, we are going to discuss how one can make resin jewelry.
What is Resin?
One may wonder what resin is and how it can make some jewelry. Well, it is a material that consists of two components mixed with a hardener to form a hard and crystal clear plastic through a curing process. This plastic is then used to make resin jewelry and gives you the option of adding elements such as pearls, glittering particles, stones, or natural materials to form unique pieces of resin jewelry.
Is resin safe?
Resins are harmful and might expose you to danger. Most materials used to make them are costly, prompting companies to add cheaper substances for more extended service. These additives later react and release fumes to the air. Once you inhale these fumes, your respiratory system gets affected, translating to health complications.
It is, therefore, essential to take enough research time before getting into resin jewelry making. There are instructions about different resins which you ought to read and understand carefully. The reason for being cautious is because resins are mixed in different ratios and temperatures. Besides, it is also wise to wear a respirator mask whenever you are using resin. The respirator mask is supposed to protect you from the fumes produced in the process.
Types of Resins
Many types of resins are used in various ways. Some are used in construction while there are those types of resin materials specifically used to make resin jewelry. Here are the types
Epoxy is a perfect material for resin jewelry. It can make the best jewelry and accessories because of its diverse qualities. The qualities include:
- Low cost and toxicity
- Low Shrinkage
- Resistant to chemicals
- Great electrical insulator
- Greatly adhesive
- Low absorption of moisture.
These qualities make epoxy a popular material among jewelers. Although it is easy to use, you may need clear instructions, primarily because of the ratios between its components.
Although it is similar to epoxy, polyester resin has more qualities that diversify its usage. Besides making of resin jewelry, polyester is used in boat building. This material gives you a very crystal clear piece of resin jewelry when adequately buffed. Unlike the epoxy resin, with polyester, you can adjust the curing time by adding more catalysts. If you want deep molds for resin jewelry, then this is the perfect material to use. Polyester resin has a strong smell that doesn’t vanish until the curing process is over.
This type of resin uses a UV lamp that enables it to cure quickly. It does not require any mixing; it is easy to use and makes fantastic jewelry. UV resin is the perfect resin material for beginners because it is ideal for making small jewelry pieces. However, it is essential to note that UV resin slightly shrinks during the curing process, unlike other resin types.
What types of molds are used in resin jewelry making?
There are two main types of mold used in making resin jewelry. They include:
1.Plastic resin molds
The plastic resin molds are made from sheets of polyethylene plastic. Below are the characteristics of plastic resin molds
- They are cheap: These molds are relatively inexpensive and readily available in the market.
- Easy to use: Plastic resin molds are easy to demold and care, making them the best for resin jewelry beginners.
2.Silicone resin molds
The silicone resin molds are reusable and can, therefore, last for a long time with proper maintenance. Below are its characteristics
- Flexibility: Unlike the plastic resin mold, silicone allows you to do more abstruse castings. It is also easily removable.
- Shiny cast: Silicone resin molds are the best in bringing out shiny resin jewelry.
Generally, silicone resin mold is the best to use in resin jewelry making.
Materials need for making Resin jewelry
- Mixing cups
- Burtane torch
- Craft sticks
- Nitrile gloves
- Small hand drill
- Respirator mask
- Safety glasses
- Plastic cloth
The to-do tips before resin jewelry making
1.Ensure your operation area is clean: Cleaning involves mopping, sweeping, and a regular vacuum to ensure there is no dust within your space. It is also good to keep away everyone and anything that can cause disruptions during your resin jewelry making process.
2.Use dry accents. If there is anything you plan to add to the resin, ensure it is dry. This is because resin doesn’t go well with moisture. Moisture delays the curing process, and that might lead to the low quality of your jewels.
Resin Jewelry Making guide
The first thing to do before starting the process of making resin jewelry is to know what type of jewelry you want to make. After this, choose the ideal mold and estimate the amount of resin needed to fill the mold.
Put Epoxy resin into the silicone mold
- After establishing the amount of resin you need, mix a half of the required amount, and then pour it on the silicone mold. After mixing, you have the option of coloring the resin.
- Position the light objects in the resin liquid and Leave the mixture to dry for 24 hours.
- When you notice the first layer has hardened, pick the larger and heavier objects you desire to cast. In order to avoid slipping, set them up with some resin. After they have hardened, pour the remaining resin into the mold and let it dry as per the manufacturer‘s directions.
Also, during this first step, you can add some accent to make your piece of resin jewelry beautiful. You are supposed to add them to the resin. They could be pearls, small beads, shells, or even pigments. If you doubt the accent results, you can do a simple sample first to be sure you will get an impeccable piece of resin jewelry.
Remove the resin jewelry from the mold.
According to most manufacturers, the curing process takes about 24 hours. This applies to most synthetic resins which are fit for epoxy resin jewelry. After the 48 hours, the casting is fully hardened; you can remove them from the mold. However, be careful when removing the pieces of resin jewelry. This is because there are sharp and rough edges that form in the mold during curing.
The finishing of resin jewelry involves removing the sharp and rough edges by using sandpaper. If you realize that your work is not shiny, you will need some polishing paste and a soft piece of cloth to accord your resin jewelry that crystal clear and shiny look. On the other hand, you do the finishing using crystal clear resin or varnish polish.
How to care for resin jewelry
Although resin boasts durability, it is of the essence to take good care of it and ensure you have maintained them properly for a longer sassy look. Here are some basic ways of caring for resin jewelry:
- Ensure they are unscratched: Wearing your resin jewelry piece frequently can wear it out, especially a ring. This also exposes it to scratching. Therefore, it is advisable always to remove your jewelry whenever doing major activities.
- Avoid heat and water: Resin is a type of plastic and doesn’t do so well with heat. Exposing it to heat for long might lead to its softening hence degrading. Apart from the UV resin, other types are not so stable with excess heat. It is also good to keep your resin piece of jewelry away from water because the resin is water-resistant. This will prevent it from discoloration.
- Keep away from oils: The quality of resin can be lowered by oil from your skin, which is difficult to avoid. Therefore, it is advisable to wipe your jewelry with some dish soap to get rid of the grease. This is best done before storing them.
- Keep away from chemicals: Resin is reactive to most chemicals. Frequent contact with air sprays, cleaning chemicals, perfume leads to their break down.
- Polishing: Whenever you notice some scratching on your resin jewelry, it is wise you wipe it with a piece of silk cloth to restore its shiny finish.
Times have changed, and so has the economy. Most people do not have the luxury of walking into a jewelry shop to purchase one-two jewelry pieces. Fortunately, that doesn’t mean you are exempted from owning your jewelry. Through this article, you can learn how to make your resin jewelry from the comfort of your home. Besides that, you can also make resin jewelry for sale and earn an extra coin. All the materials needed are cheap and readily available in the market.